How to stay fit and healthy over the holiday season
There’s turkey, ham, cake, chocolate, and probably a few beers and wine.
The holiday season is synonymous with indulging in the pleasures of food with your family and friends.
It’s easy to say that you won’t become complacent and stick to your normal routines, but it’s a whole other thing to actually commit to it – especially during a time period known for indulgence and good food.
The good news is that there are several tips and tricks you can use to your advantage to stay in shape amid the chaos of the holiday season.
Want to stay fit and healthy until you get back into your routine after the New Year?
Here’s a look at how to do it:
- Everything in moderation: Just because Christmas, Boxing Day, and New Year’s are all ideal days to veg out doesn’t mean you need to turn them into a holiday season eating marathon. Pick your cheat days wisely so you don’t overdo it. And try to limit your sugar intake, as those are the foods that are the most likely to pack on the weight.
- Travel smart: Are you traveling to visit family this holiday season? Book a hotel with a fitness centre or pool so you can still get a workout in away from home.
- Get competitive: Are you expecting a FitBit for Christmas this year? If so, that’s a great way to meet your fitness goals and hold yourself accountable. Use it to your advantage. Also, ask your gym if you can snag a few guest passes. It’s common practice for gyms who are looking to grow membership in the New Year. This way, you can work out with a buddy and hold each other accountable.
- Sign up for holiday-themed fitness events: Does your community do a holiday fun run? Start a new tradition by entering it with your family or friends.
- Make sure to sleep: Even amid the chaos of the holiday season, you should make sure that you’re getting at least eight hours of sleep per night. Those who do are about three times less likely to get sick, not to mention adequate amounts of sleep is ideal for your mood and mental health.
- Get creative: We get how the holidays can also be a great time to unwind and relax, but staying active is key to a healthy lifestyle. Here’s an idea: Instead of lounging on the couch and bingeing that show you’ve been wanting to catch up on, take your tablet to the gym and watch it while you’re running on the treadmill. Get creative so you’re able to do the things you want, but still stay fit and active.
- Take time for yourself: As we’ve mentioned in this post, the holidays can be chaotic. That said, be sure to take time for yourself. Go and get a massage, set aside time for reading or just take a break each day to sit quietly and think. A little mental break can do the world of good.
How do you plan to stay healthy and fit during the holiday season?
The nbn™ is quickly rolling out across Australia, and you may be wondering how and when to get connected. The good news is it can be pretty simple! Here's a step-by-step guide on how to connect to the nbn™. Step one: Make sure your home is nbn-ready The first step is...
We get it - kids can be expensive... Before kids, maybe you didn’t worry too much about money or feel the need to budget. But once kids come along, everything changes. It starts with endless nappies, doctor visits, and baby gear. Before long it’s toys, clothes, and...
One thing you may not know about our MATE team is that every single one of us is located in Australia! We know that’s a pretty unusual thing for a telco company, so we put together a list of the reasons why we choose to do this. Here are five reasons why we keep our...