How to stay fit and healthy over the holiday season
There’s turkey, ham, cake, chocolate, and probably a few beers and wine.
The holiday season is synonymous with indulging in the pleasures of food with your family and friends.
It’s easy to say that you won’t become complacent and stick to your normal routines, but it’s a whole other thing to actually commit to it – especially during a time period known for indulgence and good food.
The good news is that there are several tips and tricks you can use to your advantage to stay in shape amid the chaos of the holiday season.
Want to stay fit and healthy until you get back into your routine after the New Year?
Here’s a look at how to do it:
- Everything in moderation: Just because Christmas, Boxing Day, and New Year’s are all ideal days to veg out doesn’t mean you need to turn them into a holiday season eating marathon. Pick your cheat days wisely so you don’t overdo it. And try to limit your sugar intake, as those are the foods that are the most likely to pack on the weight.
- Travel smart: Are you traveling to visit family this holiday season? Book a hotel with a fitness centre or pool so you can still get a workout in away from home.
- Get competitive: Are you expecting a FitBit for Christmas this year? If so, that’s a great way to meet your fitness goals and hold yourself accountable. Use it to your advantage. Also, ask your gym if you can snag a few guest passes. It’s common practice for gyms who are looking to grow membership in the New Year. This way, you can work out with a buddy and hold each other accountable.
- Sign up for holiday-themed fitness events: Does your community do a holiday fun run? Start a new tradition by entering it with your family or friends.
- Make sure to sleep: Even amid the chaos of the holiday season, you should make sure that you’re getting at least eight hours of sleep per night. Those who do are about three times less likely to get sick, not to mention adequate amounts of sleep is ideal for your mood and mental health.
- Get creative: We get how the holidays can also be a great time to unwind and relax, but staying active is key to a healthy lifestyle. Here’s an idea: Instead of lounging on the couch and bingeing that show you’ve been wanting to catch up on, take your tablet to the gym and watch it while you’re running on the treadmill. Get creative so you’re able to do the things you want, but still stay fit and active.
- Take time for yourself: As we’ve mentioned in this post, the holidays can be chaotic. That said, be sure to take time for yourself. Go and get a massage, set aside time for reading or just take a break each day to sit quietly and think. A little mental break can do the world of good.
How do you plan to stay healthy and fit during the holiday season?
It’s a corporate perk that is growing in popularity by the day: the freedom to ditch the office and work from home. Maybe your company lets you work from home a couple of days a week, or perhaps you work from home full time. Or your home office supports a side hustle...
In today's day and age, we use several different tech tools in the home and office to conduct daily tasks with ease. Knowing exactly which of these tools work best for you is extremely important so you don't spend unnecessary money. Here are some tips to consider when...
Being a pet owner has become a whole lot easier thanks to advances in technology, notably the onset of whole-house wifi. Today's "smart" pet products are able to feed and keep watch on your pets when you're away from home, giving you peace of mind that your pets are...